Monday, November 15, 2010

Recent Happenings

Well, it's about time I wrote on this blog and let everyone know that yes, we are still alive here in Germany. I would like to thank my friend Elisabeth for the very kind and tactful reminder to update the blog ;)

Thanksgiving is fast approaching which we are very excited about. The reason why is because I love pumpkin pies! Well, Jon does too. I get giddy when I see the ingredients for my pastry love on sale at the grocery store. When my family celebrates Thanksgiving, my Aunt Debbie and mother would always set aside a pumpkin pie for moi. It's because they love me...or as Jon sarcastically says because I am 'special'.

Anyways...over the next few days I will be writing posts that will focus on a couple of things I am thankful for and will try to incorporate things we've been up to lately :)


I am thankful for .... SUNSHINE

Last Sunday we had our first day of sunshine in a long time. How long may you ask? Well, we've had at least 10 days of consecutive rain. This is a conservative count. But isn't it grand when the sunshines and the heavens open it truly does illuminate the world and reminds me of what a beautiful earth we live on. So, yeah, I was really grateful for an uplifting Sunday, both spiritual and physical.

I am thankful for .... MODERN DAY MEDICINE

A few months ago Jon trained up for a high-intensity month long leadership school similar to Ranger School except shorter. It is called Sapper Leader Course. I drove Jon to the airport and was prepared to say goodbye for a month or so of complete 'radio silence'. Little did I know I would see him sooner than expected.

To make a long story short...Jon hurt his back pretty good. After multiple doctor visits, an ER visit (which included me passing out), and an MRI....we found out that Jon has a herniated disc on his spine. Having a hurt husband isn't an easy thing to deal with but oh how I love medicine. Especially a lovely pill one calls Percocet :)

It's been almost 2.5 months since the injury and Jon's back is making progress thanks to a good chiropractor and a physical therapist. He's on the mend and is expected to go with his unit on a year long 'vacation' to the mountains to the East in a few months.

And because there at least needs to be a picture or two on the blog post...

Setting up the tent for a Friday night camp-out a few weeks ago. We were the only ones crazy enough to be out there. Do not let the sunshine fool you...it was in the 40's at the time and dropped in temp at night.


I stayed huddled around the campfire for the majority of the night. Plus...I'm a pyro and enjoyed playing with the flames :)

No comments: