Monday, January 25, 2010

A Trip to Paris

Jon speaking: Forgive the sarcasm.... it was a long drive in French traffic. I thought New York drivers were bad.... those guys are small fish to the French. Anyways, the trip was a success!

That would be the Eiffel Tower. Obviously, what else would it be in down-town Paris?


I convinced Allison to walk down the stairs from the second stage of the Eiffel Tower. It was fun to wind down the stairs and see the inside of the Tower.


This is an off-angle view of the Louvre Center. You can see the Richelieu Wing on the far side.


A better shot of the Pyramid, you know, the one you saw in the "Da Vinci Code." It was a little rainy and cold that day. But a good day nonetheless.


Allison next to the Mona Lisa. There were over 12 guards in the general vicinity as well as automated fire suppression systems. The case itself was pretty substantial and you could only get within about 15 feet of the portrait.


This is the centerpiece statue as you walk into the Louvre that delineates between the two main wings: Denon and Richelieu.


Think really hard which movie that statue is in.... Think.... "Gum Gum from Dum Dum?" And no, I did not have any gum, but I did have a couple lifesavers.


We really wanted a shot in front of the Arc de Triomphe. A couple was in the same spot, we took their picture, they took ours. It was a good trade.

Overall summary - Allison and I went on a trip to Paris as evidenced by the photos. We did it on a weekend. Paris traffic on a Friday night is awful. Bumper to bumper with motorcycles literally scraping cars ahead of us, but we got lucky with no scrapes. Anyways, our hotel room was only about 15 minutes away from the Eiffel Tower. Even better was the metro system. We easily navigated the subway, except for me exiting the tunnel when I shouldn't have. Allison tried to stop me, but we had enough tickets. In conclusion, it was a good trip. Been to Paris and saw the the most important sites: Eiffel Tower, Louvre, St. Cyr Academy, Notre Dame, and the Arc de Triomphe. Where next? Any ideas out there?

1 comment:

J. said...

Oh, it looks like you two had a great time! It must be fantastic to travel like that! We are glad to hear that you are both doing well.. nate and I love to read about all of your adventures. Keep us posted and call again soon!!